Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rogue Vent

Ok, after a pricey respec and regear I walked into Naxx 25 last weekend. I was hoping for a lot more dps for a lot less hassle. What I discovered was the rogues are no longer PvE masters... not even close.

A guildie of mine messaged me the other day noticing that my dps was kinda low in comparison to some of the other WWS reports that he had seen. He was very delicate in addressing the matter. "Hey, HH... I've seen rogues topping the dps meters, you may want to look at your spec". Oh, he was oh so right. I saw rogues hitting between 7k - 11k dps depending on the boss. I believe Thaddius gives the best buff overall for rogues or really anyone. I'm thinking WTF!!! I'm no noob. I immediately wowarmory these rogues to see what the hell is going on. A quick comparison reveals that I have superior gear. I also see that they are mutilate spec'd. Fuck! The last thing I want to do is to go back to that fucking hassle of a spec. I'd rather watch John Goodman pole dance.

I remember looking at the WWS report for Thaddius and noticing that there were 3 rogues in the raid. Amazingly, all 3 were tops in dps. There's no way I'm that much of a noob that 3 rogues with lesser gear beat me out by freaking 5k - 9k dps. There has to be a rea.... wait. Quicky I return to the WWS report and investigate which spells were being used and sure enough... each rogue was spamming eviscerate about 60 - 70% of the time. Which could only mean that they were HaT spec'd... which could only mean they were taking full advantage of the bug by having 2 more rogues in the raid that are also HaT spec'd. Every WWS report I've seen with rogues topping the meters have been HaT spec'd AND with 2 other rouges in party. I'm usually the only rogue in our guild raids.

Unfortunately, this is the only way for rogues to top the dps meters at this point in time, even on single target mobs. I wouldn't mind so much if I could AoE more to help with trash mobs or stun-lock a mob while my raid pounds on his helpless body or maybe opening any number of blue lockboxes that always drop... but my AoE is on a 10 sec CD and costs half my energy bar, stun-locking doesn't matter cuz AoE rules, and no blue lockboxes drop. I've thought about stat reallocation to maximize my dps...

  • Haste isn't the way to go. All of my spells are instant cast. Strike 1! Reducing the global cooldown does very little with that little finite yellow mana bar. 3 spells and I'm out of energy unlike a 15k blue mana bar. Strike 2! My attack speed is increased by a percentage but considering that my white attacks miss a lot more now (hit cap rating for white damage is over 700 now) and are deflected 30% of the time really reduces the impact of haste. Strike 3!!
  • Armor Penetration isn't the way to go. Boss mobs have soooo much freaking armor in the thousands. The small amounts that gear offers doesn't begin to be the answer in raising our dps back to a respectable level.
  • Other stats... well, all the other stats were introduced a long time ago and have already been used and abused. They won't offer much in the way of reclaiming those tops spots.
  • Buffs: Our guild is primarily caster dps. I'm sure if we had more melee dps my overall damage would increase but no to areas that I'm accustomed to seeing.

So, what's the answer. Easy... wait for new and better gear to come out and hope that blizzard will make changes to allow rogues to compete with boomkins and ret pallies that are easily pwning my ass every raid. Hybrid classes should not be out-dps'ing pure dps classes (ie, only rogues atm) with lesser gear.

http://wowwebstats.com/q3wksruaydvqe

http://wowwebstats.com/41cc6uggtvmtc?s=300-30095

No comments: